D-Man

CCW Carry

40 posts in this topic

John, please remove this link if you feel it's inappropriate to post on this board, but did find this .org for people like me having questions (again, I don't have experience with this .org - if it's a good place to go for research )http://californiaccw.org/

There was a holster made in the early 90's that was nothing more then a leather pouch sort of like a leather pocket protector. it was fairly universal as long as you got a size that was big enough for your hand gun. it was ambidextrous and you could use it on the sides. infront like a belly band or in the small of your back. It was very comfortable cheap and durable. the bigest disadvantage was next to no retention at all. can't for the life of me remember what it was called. again it was an inside the waistband holster that was built like a leather pocket protector. and cliped onto your waist band or belt.

Can I ask just a general question? I'm not trying to stir controversy or anything - what makes a person want to have a CCW in general? I know this is probably a personal preference question, more than anything else, but I just wanted to ask ---
I wouldn't post my Good Cause specifics on a forum, but here is why I think CCW is a NEED:Basically to me it is insurance or a safety device. You can look at it just like car insurance, homeowners insurance etc. I have NEVER (knocking on wood) had a claim against my car or homeowners insurance. But, in the event I do NEED them, it could be horrible and devastating if I didn't have them.Being a safety device also fits. Having a fire extinguisher in your home or car is just good preparedness. Again, I have NEVER (knocking on wood again) had to use my fire extinguishers but in a time of need, you will be glad they are available.I can't imagine being in that rare situation where you NEED a CCW to save your own life or that of your loved ones. I would hate to have something happen and KNOW that I didn't put forward the effort (it is a long tedious process to get your CCW) to do all I can to survive or protect my loved ones.One last thing about that website you linked. I think the largest and best website for California CCW is www.calccw.comI frequent it often and the guys there are VERY informative and educated on all things CCW pertaining to our state.

Thanks for that other link. I've been searching the County and City sites for CCW process and am still trying to find the answers

What county and city do you live in? Will be happy to help you find out the process for your area.Also, been doing holster research. Does anyone use the Galco Skyops holster? Galco has been building great holsters for years, and that looks like just the ticket for me. Curious to hear others thoughts on it.Darren

Can I ask just a general question? I'm not trying to stir controversy or anything - what makes a person want to have a CCW in general? I know this is probably a personal preference question, more than anything else, but I just wanted to ask ---
I like most people I know have no desire to shoot anyone. That said I would rather shoot a thousand people than to have my life, my wife's life or my daughter's life taken by one of those thousand. Might I add, my Mother, Father, Brother both sister's and all their children along with you and your family.I do not carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I do not want to be shot and I have a responsibility to defend myself and my family.

Darren, I've got a Galco belt and copslot holster for my P220 that I like quite well.
Concealability is such a big deal to me. I don't mind the slightly slower draw time. That way I can wear it for work. The single screw point seems like it might make it a little tough to keep the gun in place. Normally Galco makes great products, and just would love it if somebody else has one of those and can share about it.Darren

A friend of mine is an LEO, his department recently sent him to listen to a speaker. He said there was a good point, and he definately agreed with the speaker, and after hearing it, I agree as well...Heres that point...There are 3 type of people in the world, lambs, shepherds and wolves. A large majority of the population are lambs, in a given bad situation will not fight back and simply be the victim, the shepherds are the ones that will defend themselves and family (lambs), and last the wolves are the not so righteous members of society that would wrongfully harm another person. He then asked me which one of those 3 I wanted to be...This all got brought up when I asked him why he always carried his weapon, even when off duty...Prior to this I wasn't a huge advocate of CCW as I thought it was good to have, however I thought it could escalate a situation if maybe the person with the CCW drew his/her weapon in the event it might not have been necessary. And in reality there is no way to tell how one will handle under a high stress situation till they are placed in one.

Yep, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. He has some GREAT books. I'm currently reading "On Combat". :yahoo:

About the holster, I use an uncle mikes wrap-around. You can set it up for either left or right handed. I carry a P89 Ruger and it covers pretty good. But I also like to wear my shirts out and a little big too....

I have 3 guns on my ccw all are strong side holsters I use a Smith air weight 38 with lazer sight when I want comfort. If I feel the need for a little more fire power and faster reloads I go with a glock 26 most of the time when out doors I use a glock 20 all can be concealed under a shirt tail if you leave it untucked and buy shirts that run long. A gun is no good to me if I don't feel I can get to it fast if things go bad.

I live in San Luis Obispo County. How hard is it to get a CCW permit? What is the process or do you have to be law enforcement or military?

I live in San Luis Obispo County. How hard is it to get a CCW permit? What is the process or do you have to be law enforcement or military?
I'm not sure how strict your county is but in mine (Tuolumne) you have to apply, either take a CCW class or the county offers an 8 hours class that counts, but even if you do take the CCW class you still have to attend 4 hours of the county's class. At the end of the class you give them a check(here almost $200) hand over you completed packet and a 1 page letter describing why you need the permit. You don't have to be in the military or law enforcement, but you do have to have good cause. Which equals that you have a greater danger than the general public.Here they shoot down 99% of people as they want you to appeal and really show you want the permit. I would suggest contacting the county sheriff's depatment and or community service unit (if you have one). Here you have to apply through the commmunity service unit.After you are finaly accepted you get the live scan finger prints done and get your CCW shortly afterwards, mines just a small piece of paper with my thumb print, same stuff as on my license and up to 3 guns w/serial #'sI hope this helps give you an idea, but again I am pretty sure it varies by county!Good luck!