aquaelvis

Need help- flashlight purchase!

16 posts in this topic

Where do I go when I need advise? CPC of course! Seems you guys always have a wealth of knowledge to share. So here is the deal; I need to get a Christmas present for my father-in-law. He mentioned to my wife that he would like a couple good flashlights. He wants smaller ones, to keep in his truck. (one for him and one for his wife) He lives way out in the boonies of Montana so he can hit odd weather while driving as well as power outages, etc. I don't want to spend too much on him. :roflmao3[1]: I'd like to keep the total around $50 for both flashlights. I guess if we need to spend more we could get one of the other kids to go in with us. That would bump the budget to $100 for both. So what are your thoughts gentlemen?

I found these: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0041169517765aPrice is right- not sure about these thoughhttp://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&id=0021019The small one is too cheap to go in with another family member but the larger one is too much!
I have 3 G2's :lol: but understand the battery life is way short. They're designed more for tactical use, short on/off cycles. They can get warm too. I get the sense you just looking for general use / throw it in the truck type light. "C" size maglight might fit the bill. in my truck I just tossed in a hand powered light like the type you crank or grip to charge the capacitor. I find that I don't use a flashlight enough in a vehicle to put one in there with batteries as when I need it, it's always dead. :lol: Here's a crude site that might be helpful. (it only works w/ IE)

If they are just emergency flashlights then you really don't need anything fancy. I'd aim for battery life over brightness... The AA sized LED Maglites are cheap, reliable, and have good battery life. I also use a Garrity LED model K009 that runs on 3 AAA batteries (the lithium Energizers I installed last deer season are still going strong) and I've been VERY happy with it.

I've got 2 LED flashlights and love them. One is brighter than the other though. Make sure you get one with lots of Lumens. Lumens is a legitimate measure unlike candlepower which can be subjective.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&s=1What about these? Seems like a nice set. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend on the old fart but I can deal with it. (shipping is included in the price) He is all show and no go. I have small maglites in my trucks. They are all you need. (I have a larger one too) But he wants something cool. ($$$- he isn't paying for it!)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...topnav=&s=1What about these? Seems like a nice set. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend on the old fart but I can deal with it. (shipping is included in the price) He is all show and no go. I have small maglites in my trucks. They are all you need. (I have a larger one too) But he wants something cool. ($$$- he isn't paying for it!)
Those look pretty good. I have some Cyclops tacticool ones i picked up at Costco a couple years ago for like $20 (they use c123 batteries and don't last long and get HOT). All the ones that us the C123 batteries are for tactical use and not long duration or emergency use. I too prefer maglites (I keep a 4D in my Jeep and a 3C by my bed). You can get the maglites with LED lights in them now and they are better, but still use regular batteries. Maybe you could get him like a bunch of the LED Maglites in different sizes. Sometimes people just don't know any better and you have to show them. :lol: Plus it's a Christmas present, YOU get to choose what he gets. :lol:

There was a product review of the one LED flashlights that Sam's Club sells along with a few other brands. The Sams Club one was a piece of junk and the battery holder broke easilly making the flashlight useless. The article was written by Dennis Beaver who is an attorney in Bakersfield. He writes a column called You and the Law about legal questions but occassionally tests products and writes about them. I believe one of the products he recommended was the Duracell LED. If you can find that article, there were several good tips in it for choosing the best LED flashlights. It was in the Sunday December 7, 2008 Hanford Sentinel but I do not know when it appeared in other papers.

WalMart has a very nice, aluminum bodied, compact, bright (110+ lumens) flashlight. It's probably less than 4" long and comes with two CR2 batteries. It's sold in the sporting goods section and it says "Coleman" on the side of it. I didn't know Coleman made them. Last time I checked, they were $23.00 each. Super deal for such a bright little light.

+1 on the LEDAnother "accessory" in this category is the plain-jane chem-light (cyalume break-n-shake).

Next time in Walmart,check out the "Metal Gear" from Dorcy.Single LED.Comes with 3 AAA batteries.Was about $18.00.About 6" long.Bright suckers.Used one at work during the canning season.Did a torture test.....passed pretty good.