TheRoman1

"Magnum" Shot Loads?

3 posts in this topic

So perhpas I drempt it but I have this image in my mind of reading somewhere that on the DFG Pheasant hunts one is not allowed to use "magnum" shot loads. I haven't been able to find where I read this and I'm beginning to wonder if I in fact never did.Anyway, is there a "magnum" type of shotgun shell? If so, what is it? I have some basic, size-4 shot for birds with a long, brass cap that is longer than some of the really short caps I've seen on shells filled with ssize 8-6 pellets in them. Does magnum refer to the length of this brass cap?

At least in 12 and 20 ga, 3" shells are Magnum, 3.5" shells are super-magnum. I'm no pheasant hunter, but I've never heard of not being able to use magnum loads.

Sometimes on the box where it says "Drams Eq." it will say MAG but it seems like most of the magnum duck loads I use just say MAX nowadays. You might check to see if steel shot is mandatory. Sometimes when the DFG puts on a pheasant hunt in a wetland area they'll require the use of non-toxic shot.