Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aquaelvis

Need help picking my next scope

14 posts in this topic

OK, so I need to get the AR scoped so i can take it out and get it bloody! I ordered the wilson tactical solid mount and now it is time to pick the scope. I am leaning towards Nikon- I dig the buckmaster that is on my Tikka. I am thinking about the:NIKON 6430 BKMASTER 3-9X50 PLX MT $246NIKON 6319 PROSTAFF 3-9X50 PLX RT $187I could go cheaper-Nikon 6320 PROSTAFF 3x9x40 bdc matte $125 I think the buckmaster 3-9x40 is around $168So I guess I am trying to figure out if the buckmaster is that much better than the prostaff and if the jump to 50mm objective is worth the money? On one hand I say, it is an AR and a carry around coyote gun so no need to be too fancy. On the other hand I think, as long as I am buying it- might as well buy better than I need rather than buying something I am not happy with. And it could always end up finding a home on another one of my rifles- so is it better to spend more now? But, the cheper way to go is only $125- going the better route doubles that! Is it worth twice the money? HELP!

First off I would check the eye relief on the scopes you refer to. Ihad a nikon and sold it because i lost eye relief when the power was turned up. Not good for a predator rifle. Second thing ill throw out there is that Leupold told me a 50mm doesnt let any more light in than a 40mm. Tube size will change that. So i would reccomend a 40 to get that scope height lower. JMHO..ehd..

Any thoughts on the Bushnell 3200? Seems to be prices along the same lines as the Nikon Buckmaster. I have heard that there is not much to be had from going from the 40 to the 50 objective. That does not seem right but maybe?

I put a Nikon 40mm 3-9x on a Savage rifle recently, it was a 'Team Primos' scope from SWFA. $199. Supposed to be the same as last year's Monarch scope?Regardless, I really like it. Super for a hunting rifle. Very clear. Dead on and I like the BDC recticle.I've heard the 50mm vs 40mm debate myself, so I did some comparing with both at dusk. I could not tell a difference. The scopes were not the same model, however I could see no difference in brightness in low light conditions. My $0.02

The Bushnell Elite series of scopes are really nice. they are bright & super sharp. I liked them so much, I bought three. I am very happy with them and I believe they are a much better buy than my Leupolds. Just a personal opinion.

What ever you get, get it in a 40.

middway has a great sale going on leupolds. I couldnt stand it and bought another vx-3. The only trouble is i like a dot and this one is duplex ,so i will send it in at some point and have it changed. I have bought direct from L eupold before and it takes months to get your order.. 399.00 for a vx3

The Bushnell Elite series of scopes are really nice. they are bright & super sharp. I liked them so much, I bought three. I am very happy with them and I believe they are a much better buy than my Leupolds. Just a personal opinion.
+1 I have two of the browning 3-9x40's (basically re-badged 3200's) and I really like them.

Long time ago I read that if you want more light, then pair the 50 MM objective with the 30 MM tube. Otherwise, you're wasting your money.:good:

I think I'll stick with a 40mm- thanks for the help guys! I already ordered my scope mount for the AR in 1 inch. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer on what is in stock and what the current prices are. I am expecting the Bushnell to be a little cheaper, so I may give one of them a shot. I like the Nikons but have heard a lot of good things about the Bushnells. I do like that the buckmasters come with a sun shade. Thanks for the help!

Long time ago I read that if you want more light, then pair the 50 MM objective with the 30 MM tube. Otherwise, you're wasting your money.:good:
That's definately the ticket. :-) have that combo on my 1k .308 tac gun. VERY bright. That said, 50mm just doesnt work real well on all my guns. Fat barrels make it a bit too high. I wouldn't think that would be an issue on the AR.

Instead of a Nikon Bushmaster, try looking at the Leupold VX-I LR. For my eye it just much more sense to sight on cross hairs then a circle.

Check out Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 w/ bal plex reticle, great scope for the money, better quality than Bushnell. ,,300wsm

Aquaelvis,A dandy scope for your AR would be the Leupold 2.5 - 8x VX III. Good for close up work and enough power for 300 yard coyotes. Good shooting.