Hylander

AR upper Decision ( Help )

32 posts in this topic

I think I'm ready to order an Upper, But which one.First pic is WOA, Second is DTECHBoth are same price, WOA has a vented hand gaurd. ( Wilson Barrel )DTECH has a tighter chamber and Broach cut barrel. ( Olympic Arms barrel )Both will have a non fluted barrelWOAUpper.jpgDTECHUpper.jpg

Is this the same upper you've been researching last few months? At least you have it narrowed down to two
I been researching both the DTECH and the WOA quite a bit

I can't see you going wrong with either choice :)Why no flutes? My non fluted 24" SS barrel is a monster to carry!

Why no flutes? My non fluted 24" SS barrel is a monster to carry
Price, just can't afford the fluting :lol: I think I'm going to go with WOA, as he can have it to me before next weekend :lol:

Well it is a done deal :lol: I call John at WOA and ordered it up.20" .223 1:12 twistNo Fluting :lol: Not in the budgetHe should have it on the way to me before Friday.I will be mounting my Elite 4200 4-12x40 AOBut now I need to find Rings, any recommendations, Larue I think it is called that John has is not an option right now, "Budget again" :DWOAUpper.jpg

Don't you already have rings for that scope? They should work until you step up to a LaRue. ;)

Don't you already have rings for that scope? They should work until you step up to a LaRue. :D
Well yes, yes I do ;) If I had a brain I'd be dangerous B)

Well yes, yes I do ;) If I had a brain I'd be dangerous B)
You just want to buy something. :D

Varmint weight bullets work better in a 1 in 12 twist. If you want to only shoot heavy bullets go with the 1 in 8. But with a tight twist barrel you lose some speed too. I have no problem with my 1 in 9 twist Savage but for what we're shooting the 1 in 12 is the way to go.

Also WOA only has 1:7 or 1:12 twist.1:7 is to fast for Thin skinned bullets, they will most likely come apart before they ever reach the target. Although the Savage perform's well at 1:9 I think they are pushing the limit. Personally I would prefer a 1:10But you can't argue Target's like John's B) I just finished up my Lower and am ready to snap that upper on.Oop's gotta get a Butt Stock ;)VulcanLower4.jpg

What about the 69 grain match kings I saw some very nice groups on another site from a heavy berral Ar.You guys know what site i am talking about.

What about the 69 grain match kings I saw some very nice groups on another site from a heavy berral Ar.You guys know what site i am talking about.
You'll need a faster twist rate to shoot those guys .... I'd think a 1-8 or 1-9

What we're saying is Bullets such as Varmint bullets have very thin jackets.With the faster twist rates like 1:7 put to fast of a Rotational speed on the bulletthus causing it to litterally seperate the jacket from the bullet in flight.Does not matter if it is a 40gr. or 55gr.A 40gr. will stabilize fine in a 1:7 if exiting at a low enough FPS, however heavier bullets like 60gr. and up need a faster twist to stabilize proper because of their longer lenght.Also short light bullets with thin jackets pushed to fast from a fast twist barrel stand the chanceof stripping through the lands and not being stabilized at all and the jacket coming apart before the bullet leave's the barrel, that is why the 22-250 and similar are slower twist rate's, generally 1:12 . That high of a rate of FPS in a slower twist rate than say a 1:12 would rip the jacket off the bullet before it left the barrel.69gr. Match bullets are great for accuracy and yes do require a faster twist to stabilize proper,Such as 1:7 - 1:8But they are not good for Varminting, to heavy. They do not fly very fast and they drop quick.And I don't think anyone makes a Varmint bullet in that weight as far as the .223 goes.

Well in the cabelas shooting reloading catalog there is 69 Gr. HPBT matchking.I am not saying this what i use i just have a 1-9 twist in a 16 upper wydle chamber.I was looking for a good accurate bullet too use in it untill i get a good varmint upper.

That 69 gr Matchking isn't intended for hunting ... I have some in 52 grain for my 1-14 twist 22-250.what is the twist rate of your barrel?

Those MatchKings will blow right though and will probably do little expanding.A better choice would be a Soft point in that weight.Also If its a 1:9 give some 55gr. V-Max a try

When I want something a bit heavier I sure like the 55gr V-MAX's in my Savage with 1 in 9 twist. They're very accurate, I'm sure Hylander will back me up on that. ;)

Very good call on the WOA Hylander ;) Im gonna use John H for my NM upper too. Spoke with him last week. Probably use him for the 204 upper if I go that way also. Can't wait to see it together, yours and mine both B) Good call on the slower twist for the varminter. The NM have a 1:7" so you can shoot the 80's and some will even shoot the 90's. Not as well as the 1:6.5" but only the high dollar barrel makers make those. Enjoy. Scott