Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gmoney

help on big cal guns

3 posts in this topic

well I thought I decided on a smith pc 44 mag, but I just got the itch maybe a freedoms arms 454 or a linebaugh gun, I am going to loose my mind, I gotta get a piece after winter so I can set up for hog and deer next seasonso does anyone have a linebaugh or a freedom arms, it would be neat to have a cool SA pretty sure I am after 7.5 inch gunthanks Brandon

Hi Brandon,Yes, a 7.5" is all I'd recommend.The shortest for hunting,would be a 4 3/4" to about 5.5".Any longer,then carry problems.My F.A. 454 is a 6".3 of my 45 Colt's are in 4 3/4".My only 7.5",is my Ruger RedHawk in 44 mag.SA's are to me, the most enjoyable to shoot.Your best accuracy is in the single action mode.With Freedom Arms or a Linebaugh,they are a LOT of $$$$.(F.A.s are close to $2,000.00.The Field Grade is about a couple hundred less)Might check with Golden Arrow Archery and Guns.Also,Alquist Arms in Turlock.Located at 120 S.Center St. Here,they have good prices on Rugers andColt/Colt clones.I have to try to stay away from there.It's where I bought my 3 Colt's:2 Rugers,and one Uberti.Afraid that another one would follow me home.A 44 mag is a good choice.So would the 45 Colt.But, for the 45 Colt,I'd go for a Ruger BlackHawk.As, the Uberti is essentially a blackpowder frame/design.Can't take the "warm" or "hot" loads that the Ruger can take.The Ruger New Vaquero,is a fixed sighted gun.It can take somewhat more than the Uberti.Not much though.I am going to try to be a member of the Oakdale Sportsmans Club again.Hope you'll find the gun you want.

I have a Ruger BlackHawk in 45 colt with the 5.5 " barrel. With handloads it will out perform a 44 mag with lower pressure and with less recoil. Mine is the convertible model, comes with and xtra cylinder for 45 ACP. Good luck on your choice.