Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saeleaw n

Barnes TSX

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any complaint about the Barnes tsx? Last week a buddy took a shot at a shot bear 50 60 yards, it got away with little blood to follow useing a 270 win. he said about 120 lbs.Yesterday another buddy took a couple of shot at he said was around 500 to 600 lbs brown bear with a 300 win mag 60 to 70 yard, track it for 2 hours and blood trail ended, he used the tsx also. They both blame the bullet but I said to them shot placement is mostly the reason. What do you guys/gals think, any complaint about tsx or what do you think the reason is?

the TSX bullet is vicous on game, no doubt. I've seen 4 hogs killed with them, very effective. You're probably right about bullet placement. Was it an off hand shot (standing position), or from a rest, sticks, etc? Was the guy pumped up or calm?

I had one of the old straight sided 100gr xbt bullets from my 25-06 fail to open on a deer but I haven't had a problem with the newer tsx bullets.

his first time seeing a bear and taking a shot at it, but there was really no rush place was wide open. I personally would have taken a head shot to make it clean and simple. There were pices of meat on the ground and on the trail so I think the bullet did its job but not the shooter

The Triple Shock bullets are great bullets.That said all bullets can fail at times.I would however agree with you that it is most likely a poor shot or a poorly sighted in rifle (which is even worse)that accounted for the animal running off.I have seen pigs shot with the 130 grain TSX from a .270 and my deer 2 weeks ago today was shot with a 130 grain TSX from my .270. My deer went 30-35 yards. The pig fell over.There are a lot of great bullets out there. Most failures are shot placement.

The velocity at the closer distances is still quite high. The higher velocity causes bullets to upset faster and more violently at these distances you mentioned, especially the 300Win.