Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
300wsm

Spotting Scopes, reasonably priced

9 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for a reasonable priced spotting scope. I like the variable power like 20-60, I know the high dollar scopes are all good but I don't want to refinance the ranch to buy one. If anyone is using a mid priced scope and having good luck with it , info would be appreciated.,,300wsm

I have a Barska from big 5 it was 99 bucks its 20-60 power. Its ok for the money but not like a Nikkon or something high doller. Its good at makeing out .223 .243 bug holes @100 yards but @200 I cant even tell if I hit the paper. I guss it all matters what you use it for mine is mostly range work @100 yards so its fine.Hope this helps in some way.

Hey 300wsm, I have a Redhead Epic spotting scope that I got from Bass Pro Shops a couple of years ago. It is the 20-60x60 model and it came with a tripod, window mount and hard/soft case. Back then, It was $199.99 but I believe the price is now $249.99. In my opinion, this is still worth every penny. I've used it at the ranges and I easily see .223 holes at 400yds. Even on it's highest setting of 60 power, you can still see objects clearly. I also have a Swarovski STS scope that costs $1400. The only difference between the two is that my Swarovski is quite a bit brighter in low light conditions but it has an 80mm objective lens. This is my hunting scope that I carry in the field when I hunt areas that are unknown to me, otherwise I just use my Leica bino's. I'd go to a Bass Pro shops near you if you can and try the Redhead Epic's out. Good Luck!!!

I just bought a Leupold at Cabela's in Reno that has the cocked eyepiece which I prefer when at the range. I don't know what model it is but it was in the $350 range. I looked at all they had and the guy was very helpful, he even went outside with me with about 6 different scopes in a cart to let me really look out at some range.